Thursday, April 14, 2011

Don't flush the toilet paper

There are many cultural differences that I am continuing to learn while I spend time here in Brazil...one that I always seem to forget is...don't flush the toilet paper, no place it nicely in the trash can placed conveniently next to the toilet...not fun, but when you try to flush it, it doesn't flush and then everyone knows an American used the toilet LOL...when washing dishes you will not dry them, just put them on the drying rack or shake them violently...when washing clothes(which I REALLY need to do) you will not dry them in a dryer, you put them out on a line and pray it doesn't rain...every day at lunch you will eat rice and beans with some sort of vegetable(I only eat it like once or twice a week)...you will not eat peanut butter and jelly because peanut butter is only imported and it costs an arm and a leg...ketchup tastes different, and isn't as good as American ketchup(heintz 57)...there is no diet pepsi(which I miss)...when driving on the streets in Brazil you make up your own traffic laws...and even if a police officer pulls up behind you with his lights on(I haven't seen a female cop yet) you are NOT being pulled over, only if they put on their siren...you drive in kilometers, not miles...you measure food in milliliters or liters...after midnight you do not have to follow stop lights, you are allowed to drive through them(without even looking!!)...of course the language is different....hmmm...I'm trying to think of other cultural differences...prostitution is legal...so that brings me to something VERY exciting...two transvestites came to our new house last weekend, it was so much fun just hanging out with them. They asked a lot of questions about the US(like is prostitution legal) the surgeries here to changes a person's body isn't as expensive as the US, so many men will have surgery to become a woman, I will never understand this, but I will always love them, because God has called all Christians to love the least of these, no one loves these people, they are so lost and confused they don't know their identity...the churches have completely rejected them...we hung out with the transvestites just like we would our friends, did they change over night-no, of course not...but I am praying they see the Father in and through my life :-) They see God in me...and ask questions and want to know more of God...I'm sorry that this post has been all over the place....I have a personal request...that everyone would think and pray for me...in the next week I need to make some BIG decisions on how long I want to stay here in Brazil and what I will do this Summer...I really need financial support to stay in Brazil, so check out http://www.shoresofgrace.com/about-us/ministry-staff/winnie-moyer and click on the bottom of my bio if you are able to donate....in no way am I saying you have to send me money...but I really want to continue what God is doing here, and that takes money...thanks again for reading all this...I pray for everyone who reads this and comments ;-)

1 comment:

  1. and I forgot to say the water is different...DON`T DRINK THE WATER!! They also have mineral water here, and I don´t enjoy the much either LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete